The PlantPAx Solution-in-a-Box for Control at the Edge
A performance tested architecture for rapid multisite deployment of process control across O&G, life sciences, machine building, water, and power.
The PlantPAx® Solution-in-a-Box by Rockwell Automation and Stratus is a process control architecture jointly developed to simplify the deployment of small to medium scale distributed control systems (DCS) that require 2,000 I/O’s or less at edge locations.
The solution runs Rockwell Automation PlantPAx 5.0 software on the Stratus ztCTM Edge and is performance tested i.e., “characterized”, and validated by Stratus and Rockwell Automation, to ensure reliable, rapid deployment by operations teams and systems integrators using a single industrial-grade, panel-mounted Edge Computing device.
Rockwell Automation PlantPAx 5.0 software running on the Stratus ztC Edge is more dependable and cost effective.
- Fault-tolerant workload protection by Stratus eliminates application outages.
- Remote monitoring and management keep edge systems up-to-date.
- OPC integration provides platform and application health alerts directly in FactoryTalk View® HMI Software.
- Virtualization enables consolidation and simplifies deployment and management.
- Thin Clients provide flexibility to deliver content to hardened thin clients and to mobile devices.
- DIN Rail Mounted in the Control Cabinet takes advanced process applications to new locations.
- Fast-Deployment saves days of engineering time compared to traditional setup.
Where to deploy Solution-in-a-Box?
The PlantPAx Solution-in-a-Box architecture provides impressive balance of performance, cost, and easy implementation that is well suited to a range of industries and use cases where infrastructure is deployed at the edge and needs to be managed remotely and maintained by local OT personnel with limited IT skills. The formfactor, service model and fault-tolerant workload protection allows a modern, virtualized infrastructure to be deployed in the control cabinet–even in unmanned facilities.
Fast deployment and integration to OT Infrastructure for SIs and owner-operators
The PlantPAx Solution-in-a-Box is perfect for system integrators and owner-operators looking for a scalable and OT-ready architecture that does not require deep IT knowledge to deploy or maintain.
The solution is supported by embedded edge management services that provide comprehensive, at-a-glance views for system health, software versions, utilization to improve performance and triage issues across the edge deployments.
The PlantPAx Solution-in-a-Box architecture details
Stratus ztC Edge provides the industrial grade Edge Computing platform for Rockwell Automation PlantPAx. The platform combines computing redundancy to eliminate unplanned downtime, virtualization to run multiple software workloads concurrently, and an industrial formfactor that meets Class 1 Division 2 requirements to operate in hazardous environments.
The tested Solution-in-a-Box architecture includes:
- Rockwell Automation PlantPAx PASS-Consolidated Image
- Process Automation System Server (PASS) – FactoryTalk View SE with process templates
- FactoryTalk AssetCentre
- FactoryTalk Historian
- FactoryTalk VantagePoint
- FactoryTalk Batch
- Operator workstation and Application server (AppServ-OWS) – Remote Desktop Services (RDS) for FactoryTalk View SE thin clients.
- Workload specifications
- Based on the joint Stratus and Rockwell Automation characterization, the solution supports environments up to:
- Up to 5,000 I/O points
- Up to 5 single or redundant Logix Controllers
- Up to 20 clients
- Up to 10,000 historian tags
Pricing and availability
Stratus ztC Edge and Rockwell PlantPAx 5.0, including PASS-C, are available now globally. Contact Stratus or your local Rockwell distributor.